According to NICE or National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, it is elementary that people who want to undergo a laser eye surgery should not only be informed about the process but also about the risks and probable complications associated with it.
Medically, laser eye surgery may be conducted for:
- Long-sightedness and
The process is ideally safe and not painful but you will need to be the right candidate to go through this process.
LASIK eye surgery
LASIK is the abbreviation of Laser in Situ Keratomileusis. In this process, excimer laser is used under the corneal flap in situ. This helps in reshaping the cornea or keratomileusis. The process ideally helps in:
- Rectifying refractive errors and
- Improving vision.
It eliminates the need for spectacles or contact lenses.
The steps involved
If you want to know more about the process and the steps involved you may go through lasereyesurgeryreviews.com. The process involves using a mechanical surgical tool. This is called a femtosecond laser or a microkeratome.
- This tool helps the surgeon to create a circular, hinged and thin flap on your cornea. This flap is then folded back to access the stroma or the underlying cornea.
- To reshape the stroma, an excimer laser is used. This is a special laser that ablates or removes very small amount of tissues from the cornea with the cool UV light beam.
Finally, the flap is set back in place. It adheres to the stroma without needing any stiches. Your vision is improved with light focusing accurately on the retina.
Eligibility of a patient
LASIK is not for all. You will need to undergo some preoperative evolution to make sure you are eligible for it. This evaluation is done by an ophthalmologist or the team under him or her. They also do the necessary counselling apart from patient selection.
- You must be over 18 years of age to go for LASIK vs LASEK because eyesight normally change till then.
- If you are pregnant or lactating, there may be fluctuations in refraction and therefore should not undergo this process.
You should postpone your plans if you have acute diabetes mellitus, use high dose steroids, dry eye or corneal irritation to avoid the postoperative symptoms.
The safety aspect
If you are eligible for LASIK and if it is done by a qualified surgeon, the process is safe and has very low chances of developing any complications or side effects.
If you want to learn more about our blog, please click here.