Fishing is something that many people, including Mack Prioleau, have enjoyed since being very young. Man people find, however, that fishing is not just about enjoyment. Rather, it becomes an actual need. Indeed, many will have regular fishing trips with friends old and new, spending hours on different bodies of water, learning about the area, and generally relaxing, having fun, and regenerating their bodies away from their hectic lives.
Mack Prioleau on the Joys of Fishing
Prioleau, like many others, has some of the fondest memories of spending time in nature with a fishing rod. He, like many of his contemporaries, is far removed from the rugged outdoorsman. Rather, he is someone that simply wants to reconnect with the earth every once in a while, while at the same time testing their luck and, as a reward, catching their own food.
At the same time, he understands that fishing isn’t right for everybody. However, it is not a sport that you must have done since a very young age in order to ever become really good at it. Rather, it is a hobby that can be picked up at any point in life. And Prioleau believes this is something everybody should consider, because:
- It provides an opportunity for people to just get away from it all for a while, and particularly the responsibilities of work.
- It is an exercise in Mindfulness, whereby you force yourself to focus on the present, even if it is just fo a short period of time.
- It allows you to get back in touch with the real you, with your heart and soul.
- It makes you feel like a child again, doing something that is really fun and that is connected to the Earth.
- Fishing is a great way to spend real quality time of old friends and to make new friendships as well.
- It is a great opportunity to just sit and think without distractions.
- It allows you to put your life into perspective. Sure, those deadlines are important, you have put on a little weight, your wife spends too much, and your teenage children are hard to deal with. But all in all, things aren’t so bad – you won’t get fired, your cholesterol is fine, your wife can treat herself every once in a while, and your teenagers will get over it.
- Fishing is actually quite challenging, mentally and physically, in a way that is different to any other sport.
- It makes you focus on one thing and one thing only, particularly once you feel a bite. That is exhilarating like nothing else in this world.
Fishing is not the answer to all of life’s problems. But it is certainly a chance to get away from those problems, to rethink them, to find solutions, and to just enjoy yourself for a little while. And if you are lucky enough to have a life without problems, then fishing is a chance to just sit there and contemplate just how lucky you really are.